It’s one of those things that we mean to do each and every day, and end up kicking ourselves for not drinking those 8 cups that we swore we would get to. Yes, I’m talking about purified water! Keeping hydrated is number one when you are trying to brighten your skin, increase your energy levels, and improve your overall health and well-being. This is because H20 is a mighty powerhouse that helps us feel our absolute best, since our bodies are made up of approximately 70% water.
Now, I want to let you in on a little secret. Lemon water has recently gained a lot of popularity, but do you feel that this fad will quickly fade? I’m here to tell you why adding purified lemon water to your morning routine is a must, and why this fad is here to stay and below you will also find a couple of recipes to spruce up your lemon water.
MAKES YOUR LIVER HAPPY
Lemons help increase and stimulate bile production, aiding in removing toxins and excess waste from your body. This means you will be gently detoxifying and cleansing your body as soon as you wake up in the A.M.
PROMOTES A GOOD BM
Your elimination process, ahem, your BM’s (bowel movements), will experience regularity because the combination of warm purified water and lemon helps to support proper digestive functioning. Drinking plenty of pure water also helps to stimulate BM’s, decreasing the chance of constipation and other uncomfortable belly issues. It’s a win-win!
BEATS THE BELLY BLOAT
Since lemons alkalize your body, they help you steer clear of disease and promote an anti-inflammatory environment. Lemon juice also helps increase stomach acid production, assisting you in breaking down your food more efficiently. This means that all of those beneficial vitamins and minerals in your food will be absorbed to the max, promoting greater health.
GIVES YOU GORGEOUS, GLOWING SKIN
Now that you are experiencing proper BM’s, you can say bye-bye to blemishes or skin issues that may have been caused due to a buildup of toxins in your body.
DELIVERS A PUNCH OF VITAMIN C
Lemons are an amazing source of Vitamin C, which we know is helpful for getting our immune system in tip top shape. Vitamin C is also great for promoting collagen production in the skin, so fewer wrinkles and firmer, supple skin is on the horizon.
It is important that you have your warm lemon water first thing in the morning to assist in the detoxifying and cleansing process. Warm lemon water will also help rev up your metabolic fire for the day, allowing you to stay energized and steer clear of any belly bloat. Also make sure to opt for organic lemons, as you want to pop both the lemon peel and the juice into your cup for a maximum effect.
DETOX PURIFIED WATER RECIPES:
1. LEMON + CUCUMBER + GINGER
Stimulating ginger, with calm and soothing cucumber and sprightly lemon, makes this a delicious, energizing and uplifting detox pure water recipe. And it may also help settle your stomach and flatten your belly!
So why lemon, cucumber and ginger?
Lemon: Lemons are a great addition to detox water recipes. You’re not only adding a shot of immune-boosting vitamin C, but lemon also prevents the other ingredients from turning brown.
Prep: Add thinly sliced lemon or squeeze fresh lemon juice directly into the pitcher. If you’re using lemon slices, peel the lemons before adding it to the pitcher. However, if you like a stronger flavor and aroma, keep the pith and/ or zest, but be sure to wash the lemons thoroughly and preferably use organic.
Cucumber: Cucumber is refreshing, soothing, anti-inflammatory and also rich in potassium, an essential nutrient for good health. Unfortunately, less than 2 percent of U.S. adults manage to consume the recommended amount of potassium per day. Cucumbers are also thought to have an anti-aging effect on the skin.
Ginger: This warm, spicy root adds a little oomph, aids in digestion, reduces bloating and nausea, and settles your stomach. It’s also a natural pain reliever. Unlike ginger tea, which tends to be very strong and somewhat overwhelming, detox water with ginger only has a slight, but very pleasant kick.
Prep: If you want to hurry the infusion process a long, or like a very gingery detox water, grate the ginger, instead of slicing it. You can either bundle the ginger in a cheesecloth, or strain the detox water when you’re ready to drink it.
If you’re not using organic ginger, remember to peel it. The easiest and quickest way is to use the edge of a spoon to scrape off the peel! The spoon glides right over all those bumps, knots and grooves and you’ll only peel away the thin layer of skin without taking off the ginger flesh.
Here’s how to make this invigorating and refreshing detox water.
Detox Water Ingredients
- 1 cucumber
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 liters of purified water
Detox Water Prep
- Put all the ingredients in a pitcher.
- Add purified water.
- Muddle to release flavour and nutrients.
- Allow detox water to infuse in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving.
2. WATERMELON, LEMON / LIME & MINT DETOX WATER
This brightly-colored detox water hits all the right buttons. Sweet, flavorful, natural and a delight to the eye. If you’re drawn to brightly colored drinks which are often packed with artificial ingredients to make them taste and look good, this healthy watermelon infused water is a great natural
Easy and quick to make. And if you need it, yes you can add a little extra sweetener. After all, even with a dash of honey or sugar, this natural watermelon, mint and lime infused detox water beats most store-bought drinks hands down.
Detox Purified Water Ingredients
- 4 cups watermelon, cubes or balls (if you prefer use seedless watermelon)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 lime thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon thinly sliced
- 2 liters of water (less if you prefer a stronger infusion)
Easy Watermelon-Mint Detox Water Directions (Unsweetened)
- Place watermelon cubes, slices of lemon and lime into pitcher (to avoid bitterness, peel lemon and lime). Lightly crush watermelon, lemon, and lime. Crush mint leaves in your hand by lightly rubbing your hands together, then place in the pitcher.
- Add 2 liters of still water. If you prefer a sparkling detox water, add 1 liter of sparkling purified water and allow to infuse and then add the rest of the sparkling water when ready to serve.
- After adding 2 liters of still purified water or 1 liter of sparkling water, place pitcher in the fridge for at least 2 hours to allow the fruit and mint to infuse the water.
- Take the pitcher out of the fridge, stir the ingredients well.
- Optional: If you wish you can strain the detox purified water and discard (or eat!) the solids. Then either drink it as is or garnish with fresh watermelon, lemon and mint to serve.
- Add ice.
- Refrigerated, the watermelon detox water will keep for up to 2 days.
Sweetened Watermelon-Mint Detox Water Directions
- Pour 1 cup of boiling water over crushed mint leaves and 2 tablespoons of honey or sugar. Stir mixture until sweetener dissolves and allow to steep and cool for 15 minutes.
- While the mixture is cooling, put watermelon and 3 cups of water into a blender. Blend until smooth and strain watermelon liquid into a pitcher. Discard the solid leftovers.
- Now strain the mint and sugar water, and discard the mint leaves. Add into the watermelon juice and top up with water. Add lime juice to taste and stir.
- Garnish with extra watermelon, mint and lime slices if desired.